Re: ChangeLog to *VC-log*

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: ChangeLog to *VC-log*
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:59:14 +0100

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:26:56 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 00:01:00 +0100
>>
>> > No, _you_ should create a file at top level, and then everything will
>> > continue working.  That's why the top-level file is called
>> > ChangeLog.2: to keep it out of your way.
>>
>> But if Emacs can do that for me (and in so doing automatically comply
>> with its commit message format specification), don't you agree that's
>> more user-friendly?  Do you see a down side to having that automatism?
>
> We are trying to bend features so that they do what we think we want
> when we work on Emacs.  But Emacs is not only for working on Emacs,
> and creating a top-level ChangeLog file is not necessarily TRT for all
> those other projects.

That's why I wrote this in the post you replied to: "Since other
projects that could use `C-x 4 a' may have different requirements on its
effect, this should be conditioned by a user option (or maybe just a
plain variable), which can (and probably should) be set in
.dir-locals.el."  But anyway, Glenn Morris said he already implemented
something like this on master, which I have not yet tested or even seen,
so I don't know how flexible it is.

Steve Berman