ChangeLog to *VC-log* (was: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?)

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: ChangeLog to *VC-log* (was: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?)
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 20:21:03 +0100

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 09:43:55 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> 2016-03-08  Uwe Brauer  <address@hidden>
>>      * gnus-init.el (gnus-user-format-function-G):
>
> For this reasons, I have an (untracked) ChangeLog file in all
> my repositories.  This way I can use C-x 4 a to write a ChangeLog entry
> in the "good old way" and then VC will automatically copy that data into
> the *VC-Log* buffer for me to commit it.

This hasn't worked for me for some time, nor has `C-c C-a' in the
*VC-Log* buffer (though it used to work).  I just tried again: I edited
lisp/calendar/todo-mode.el, wrote a ChangeLog entry with `C-x 4 a',
typed `C-x v d' to get the VC-Dired buffer, typed v, got a *VC-Log*
buffer with no ChangeLog entry, typed `C-c C-a', the *VC-Log* buffer
remained empty.  Same thing after saving the ChangeLog buffer and
repeated the preceding steps.  Same thing when running VC-dired in the
Emacs source tree root.  Same thing with emacs -Q.  What am I doing
wrong?

Steve Berman