Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 10:08:39 -0800

Thanks for taking this on. Some comments:

Why the hash table? Existing Lisp code dealing with Unicode names uses an alist, and it seems to do OK. If a hash table is needed, a hash table should also be used by the existing code elsewhere that does something similar. See the function ucs-names and its callers.

If a hash table is needed, I suggest using a perfect hashing function (generated by gperf) and checking its results with get-char-code-property. That avoids the runtime overhead of initialization.

It needs documentation, both in the Emacs Lisp manual and in NEWS.

> +void init_character_names ()
> +{

The usual style is:

void
init_character_names (void)
{

No need for "const" for local variables (cost exceeds benefit).

>             if (c_isspace (c))
>               {
>                 if (! whitespace)
>                   {
>                     whitespace = true;
>                     name[length++] = ' ';
>                   }
>               }
>             else
>               {
>                 whitespace = false;
>                 name[length++] = c;
>               }

This would be a bit easier to follow (and most likely a tiny bit more efficient) as something like this:

      bool ws = c_isspace (c);
      if (ws)
        {
          length -= whitespace;