Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 09:48:24 -0800

> I only want to point out that an argument like "___ has been lagging behind"
> is so lousy that it's not even an argument. History knows quite a bunch of
> situations when apparent "progress" was something so abhorrent that those
> who were "lagging behind" are the only ones that do not need to be ashamed.

I want to say that, regardless of whether this comment pertains to the current
discussion or not (I don't know enough to say, really), in general there is
genuine truth here that should not be ignored. What is "shiny and new" can
sometimes be quite meriticious, and is not realized as such until after the
excitement has passed.