Re: Please add comments to isearch.el

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Please add comments to isearch.el
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:06:48 +0000

On 16 Dec 2015 12:51 am, "Juri Linkov" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If we go that route, then we might as well use `regexp-quote' instead
> > of the nil value too.
>
> Then another idea: what about broadening the customization variable
> search-default-regexp-mode to search-default-mode and allowing to
> customize a list of default values for other search parameters defined by
> isearch-define-mode-toggle, e.g. lax-whitespace, case-fold, invisible?

I don't really like custom variables that try to do everything and have complex structures. They tend to be intimidating to new users, precisely those who would benefit the most from the custom interface.
They are also harder to use and harder to write docstrings for. Finally, they offer no benefit over just defining N streamlined variables whose docstrings mention each other. :-)