Re: character folding future [was: Questions about isearch]

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: character folding future [was: Questions about isearch]
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 23:54:27 +0000

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. Do you really see that "character-fold-table can take many
>    seconds to generate"?  I don't see that, AFAICT.
>
> 2. ...

No, you're right. I guess I was still carrying my memories from the
initial implementations, which did take a few seconds. The current
version takes ~0.3 sec on my machine if byte-compiled.

While that's far from pleasant (for a lot of people, +0.3 sec of startup
time would be noticeable), I guess it's reasonable enough. After all,
the user will be warned in the docstring about this caveat.

> 5. I think it makes sense in any case to factor out the
>    code that creates/updates the table (as in my function
>    `update-char-fold-table').

I agree.