Intercepting input in comint

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Intercepting input in comint
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:47:23 +0100

Hi everyone,

In a comint buffer, I'd like to intercept certain kinds of inputs from
the user.

For certain kinds of patterns, I'd like to side-step comint and call a
function instead (and avoid the command to be sent to the inferior process).

A logical place seems to be comint-input-filter-functions, except I
cannot prevent the command to be sent to the process there.

Do I have to override comint-input-sender?
Any other advice?