Re: ChangeLog and the release branch

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ChangeLog and the release branch
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 11:15:10 -0800

>>> If someone is volunteering to actually set this up and deal with the
>>> aftermath of people struggling with 'git notes', then yes.
>>
>> Could you tell what that "struggling" entails?  I never used Git
>> notes, so I don't know what difficulties and gotchas this could
>> present.

> See above: no support in plain Emacs, so people would have to do it via CLI
> or some other means. And last I checked, which admittedly was years ago,
> notes were poorly supported by git. Notes are a bit similar to tags, meaning
> you have to explicitly push to the 'refs/tags' refspec. Fortunately, you
> don't have to know that, because 'git push' has the '--tags' switch which
> does that automatically. But there's no such switch for notes, so you have
> to explicitly push to 'refs/notes'. It even gets more weird when you want to
> 'fetch' notes, which requires you to say something like

I've tried using Git notes in a real setting before, and they are indeed a
pain, requiring expertise on the part of everyone to get it right.

They are great for attaching local notes to commits, like the output from
build logs and tests, for future reference. But they are somewhat poor in a
collaborative setting. Or, they were the last time I tried to use them.

John