Re: When do we merge the commits from emacs-25 onto master?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When do we merge the commits from emacs-25 onto master?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 14:04:22 -0800

On 11/24/2015 12:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>We'll need to modify 'make
>ChangeLog' so that in the master it ignores commit messages merged from
>the emacs-25 branch (I assume this is doable but I haven't checked
>this)....
You mean, "make change-history" on master will update ChangeLog.3 and
the same command on the branch will update ChangeLog.2?

Yes.

But then how
to prevent the commit log messages from commits merged onto master
from appearing in ChangeLog.3?

That's the modification to 'make ChangeLog' I mentioned above. Again, I am handwaving a bit here, but it should be doable. Merging from emacs-25 to master should look like this:

1. make change-history

2. Now ChangeLog.3 is up-to-date. Merge emacs-25 into the master; this updates ChangeLog.2 without changing ChangeLog.3.

3. Now ChangeLog.2 is up-to-date, but 'make change-history' would screw up ChangeLog.3. Prevent this screwup by editing ChangeLog.3 to say that it records revisions to the current master commit (inclusive).

Easy, huh?  :-)