RE: Why change the advertised bindings of Isearch commands?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why change the advertised bindings of Isearch commands?
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:33:10 -0800 (PST)

> > > 1. C-h c M-e - M-e runs the command forward-sentence
> > > 2. C-h c M-c - M-c runs the command capitalize-word
> > > 3. C-h c M-r - M-r runs the command move-to-window-line-top-bottom
> > >
> > > IOW, those are keys that are more useful to exit Isearch and do
> > > what they do normally, thus advertising the new bindings will help
> > > to get rid of old bindings in later releases.
> >
> > I disagree that we should remove those keys from the realm of
> > Isearch just because they have global bindings.  There are many,
> > many keys that you can use to exit Isearch.  And different users
> > use different such keys to exit.  And different users care to
> > have different keys exit and act immediately.
>
> The issue is not how to exit Isearch.  The issue is how to go
> forward one sentence or capitalize a word while in Isearch.

Read what I said, please.  No one said that the "issue" is
"how to exit".  It's about changing the default behavior to
make these keys "exit and act immediately".

Using M-c to exit and capitalize means removing it as a key
that does something useful _in_ Isearch.

And the particular thing M-c does now, which we would
be losing it for, is a common Isearch action: toggle
case-fold. Likewise for the other keys.

> What you are saying is that a user who spots a word to be
> capitalized during Isearch needs to do at least 2 things:
> exit Isearch with some key, then type M-c.

Exactly as it has always been: `RET M-c'.

And not "at least 2 things".  Exactly 2 things: exit & act.
If you want to do something outside of Isearch you quit
Isearch and do it.  Nothing new here.

What you are saying is that a user who wants to toggle
case-fold should need to do 2 things: `M-s c'.  You might
say, "Six of one; half a dozen of the other."  Except that
one is the longstanding default, and was done for Isearch.
The other is one person's preference (so far).

The question (which IMO should have been raised, instead of
just implementing a change) is which is more useful for
most users of Isearch, most of the time.

So far, no reason for this change in defaults (for 3 keys)
was even given.  AFAIK, it ain't broke; no need to fix it.

Why change the default behavior for these particular keys
now?  And without any discussion or polling of users?

As I said, "different users care to have different keys
exit and act immediately".  It is trivial for a user to
make M-c exit and act immediately.

The default behavior makes sense to me.  I don't see a
crying need to reduce `RET M-c' to M-c and make users use
`M-s c' to toggle case sensitivity.

But let's hear some arguments in favor of the changes, please.