Re: Why change the advertised bindings of Isearch commands?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Why change the advertised bindings of Isearch commands?
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:16:03 +0200

> In Isearch, these key bindings have long been in effect,
> and they are still in effect:
>
> M-e - isearch-edit-string
> M-c - isearch-toggle-case-fold
> M-r - isearch-toggle-regexp
>
> These keys are far easier to use than M-s c, M-s r, M-s e.
> So why have we changed the advertised bindings to be these
> more complex keys?

0. emacs -Q
1. C-h c M-e - M-e runs the command forward-sentence
2. C-h c M-c - M-c runs the command capitalize-word
3. C-h c M-r - M-r runs the command move-to-window-line-top-bottom

IOW, those are keys that are more useful to exit Isearch and do
what they do normally, thus advertising the new bindings will help
to get rid of old bindings in later releases.