Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:27:23 +0000

On 11 Nov 2015 3:28 pm, "Ted Zlatanov" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:08:24 +0100 Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> NP> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
> >> * removed Version
>
> NP> I don't think you had to remove the version, many packages in Emacs have
> NP> a version number.
>
> I want the version in the core to be pinned to the Emacs version, which
> will be automatic this way IIUC (e.g. 25.1).
>
> Meanwhile the version in Github can stay at 1.x in MELPA or GNU ELPA for
> pre-25 users, until it's killed off.  Did I plan this correctly?

Not quite. If a file inside emacs has no version number it is not considered a package at all. So a user of emacs 25 will be able to use pl just fine, but package.el will not see it and therfore will gladly shadow it with pl installed from *elpa.

This is only relevant if pl is actually on one of the elpas.