Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 15:54:38 -0500

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:35:47 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 23:54:21 +0000 Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> wrote:
AM> On 5 Nov 2015 8:19 pm, "Ted Zlatanov" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> My vote, after thinking about it, is to move it to the core.  That would
>>> turn it into an Emacs facility, rather than an external package.  The
>>> closest analogue is SMIE, which also lives in the core.
>>>
>>> PL is a library for building other packages, so I think users don't
>>> really care where it lives.

AM> IMO, that's a reason to put it on Gelpa.
AM> That way it can be used by such other packages that want to support Emacs <
AM> 25 without having to maintain duplicate code.

TZ> I'm not convinced.

Artur, since there have been no further comments, maybe it would help if
I explained why I'm not convinced: because parsing libraries tend to be
very performance-sensitive and could take advantage of the core in ways
that most other libraries don't. They are also rare, so it makes sense
to treat them with special care instead of as just another library.

The only other example I know is SMIE, which again lives in the core.
So there are two things that would convince me in combination:

1) examples of other parsing libraries in ELPAs (GNU or otherwise)

2) examples of packages that would use PL *and* want to support Emacs 24
or older (please, let's not invent them, I want actual examples)

Thanks!
Ted