Re: Move to a cadence release model?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Move to a cadence release model?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:32:22 +0000

Hello, John.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 08:57:07AM -0500, John Yates wrote:
> With a new master at the helm and various changes being contemplated I
> would like to see some discussion of moving to a cadence release model.

I suspect that here "some" is going to be somewhat of an understatement.
;-)

> I have been impressed with open source projects that have made the change.
> I am now employed at Mathworks which ships mission critical software to
> very large enterprise customers on a 6 month cadence.

> The biggest shift I see is away from wondering when the correct collection
> of features, bug fixes, whatever have been accumulated to whether those
> that have been accumulated are individually sufficiently cooked to ship.
> Developers feel less urge to squeeze a not fully baked feature into the
> current release when they can count on the next opportunity being only a
> cadence interval in the future.

On our current release model, we typically have a pre-test phase which
is longer than 6 months.  This would have to be compressed, somehow
(assuming we retain the concept of pre-test).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).