Re: ELPA policy

From: Wolfgang Jenkner
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 01:53:41 +0100

On Sun, Nov 08 2015, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> On the other hand, IIUC, moving CEDET to emacs core has not been
>> completely without problems for the CEDET project and its users.
>
> Such moves are never without problems, which is exactly my point.

I was using the wrong word here as it's more a fork than a move:

http://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/git/ci/master/tree/INSTALL

> In
> this case, I think the benefits far outweighed the problems: until
> CEDET was incorporated into Emacs core, we couldn't even dream about
> using it as infrastructure for IDEs and other similar features.

CEDET being a separate project did not stop various people elsewhere
from realizing their dream about an "IDE" according to their own ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=emacs+cedet

(sorry for giving a link to a google service...)

> AFAIR, there was also lots of cleanup during the move.

> But moving ELPA packages into the core is not being discussed or
> suggested.  So what happened with CEDET, even if you disagree with my
> assessment above, has little relevance to the issue at hand.

To be clear: FWIW, I agree that CEDET is great and that using real
grammars for doing various stuff in emacs is an exciting idea.  I