Re: ELPA policy

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:58:23 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/05/2015 05:09 PM, John Wiegley wrote:
>
>> I'd like to know more about this. How does the user access these bundled
>> packages; by installing them with M-x package-install?
>
> By having them in the default load-path somewhere already, I imagine.

There are a few possible levels this could go.
But yes, the basic idea is that these bundled packages would be pulled
from Gelpa into some subdir of emacs/lisp when making the tarball and
autoloading/byte-compilation would be done. So they'd be available like
any other built-in package.

The advantage over just keeping the packages there in the first place is
that packages offered on GElpa can be updated more frequently.

A second level would be to do this in such a way that allows Emacs
packages to depend on these pulled-in Gelpa packages. This would require
changes to the build process, not just the tarball.

> I think Fabian was looking into making that happen, but I can't find
> the respective thread right now.

I think I asked about this a couple of months ago, and Stefan (?) wrote
a very nice explanation of what his thoughts were on this possible
future.