RE: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:46:29 -0700 (PDT)

> This example also shows that the variable's docstring doesn't always
> mention that a custom setter is used :-( So, I wonder if
> `describe-variable' shouldn't add this automatically

Doesn't sound like a great idea, to me.  (Perhaps it was a joke?)
You propose to pretty-print the `custom-set' value, which is a
lambda form or a symbol, systematically for `C-h v'.

There is other useful information in a `defcustom', besides `:set'.
It makes more sense to make all of it available from the Customize
buffer than it does to show only some of it (`:set') for `C-h v'.

For one thing, that information is already available from `C-h v',
by clicking the link for the file where the option is defined.
That shows you not only the custom setter but the `:type' info etc.
- the complete `defcustom'.

However, when the user follows the `customize' link from `C-h v'
to the Customize buffer, it might be helpful if that buffer too
had a link to the defining source-file `defcustom', when available.
Users can always use `C-h v' from the Customize buffer, but turning
the option name into a link to the defining `defcustom' would be
helpful.

Currently if you try to use `C-h v' with point on the variable name
in Customize, there is no default value proposed, because of the
colon that follows it.  Better to make the name a link, so that `RET'
or a mouse click takes you to the definition.  (The name and colon
are already highlighted blue, which is close to looking like a link;
better that it should really be a useful link.)