Re: Testing the new VC code

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Testing the new VC code
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:12:20 +0100

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

>> I could do this, using ert. The question is which repositories to use
>> for tests. Something to be created on the fly, via `vc-create-repo' and
>> friends?
>
> Yes, that way we can do content checks knowing exactly what should be in
> the repository after each operation.

I will try to start with a vc-tests.el when I'll return home, end of the
week. However, there are several bugs waiting for me in debbugs, so I
cannot promise fast progress.

There is already test/automated/vc-bzr.el, testing some special bzr
cases. For the time being I won't touch it; whether it shall be merged
with vc-tests.el later on I don't know.

>> That might work pretty well for the backends with a local repository
>> (git, bzr, hg and alike), but what to do with the other ones?
>
> Looking...for the following ones, create-repo should just work: git,
> bzr, hg, RCS, SCCS, SRC, and (somewhat to my surprise) SVN.
>
> We're missing create-repo methods for arch, mtn, and CVS. These are a
> little tricky and need some context other than just a directory to
> work in.

Well, the recipes don't look too tricky. Couldn't they be added to
corresponding create-repo methods in vc-arch.el, vc-mtn.el and vc-cvs.el?

Best regards, Michael.