Re: Testing the new VC code

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Testing the new VC code
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:55:04 +0100

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Instead of doing one-off tests, please take the amount of time you
> would have allocated for those and write a Lisp exerciser for the
> whole edit cycle - registration, checkout, modification, checkin,
> diff, etc.  The more cases in vc-action you can visit, the better.
>
> We could then add this to Emacs's self-tests, and I would have a regression
> check to run periodically while I modify the mode.

I could do this, using ert. The question is which repositories to use
for tests. Something to be created on the fly, via `vc-create-repo' and
friends?

That might work pretty well for the backends with a local repository
(git, bzr, hg and alike), but what to do with the other ones?

And, btw, I did it already for `vc-registered' and Tramp. You can see it
in test/automated/tramp-tests.el, testcase `tramp-test29-vc-registered '.
Maybe I could extend this kind of test.

Best regards, Michael.