Re: emacs-diffs emails can get long subject if log starts with "*"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-diffs emails can get long subject if log starts with "*"
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 19:26:13 +0200

> From: RĂ¼diger Sonderfeld <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:04:36 +0100
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
>
> That's why the recommendation for git is to limit the first line to 50
> characters.

That's way to few for a meaningful summary of the commit.  I normally
need at least 70, sometimes more.

> This of course conflicts with the common practice in Emacs to simply
> use the ChangeLog entry as the commit message.

There's no such practice.  Committers are requested to come up with a
summary line, and use the ChangeLog entry below that, as a separate
paragraph.  The ChangeLog entry can serve as the summary line only if
it's a single line, and there's nothing to be said except what that
one line does.