Re: Good book on Git

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Good book on Git
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 08:45:58 -0500

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 14:46:50 +0300 Filipp Gunbin
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 15/11/2014 00:32 +0300, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > The Git manuals that come with Git itself are of course fully
> > free, but they are not always the easiest introduction.
>
> The git-tutorial pages (1 and 2) provide an easy quickstart help,
> and then usual man pages for various commands are good.

Certainly. However, if one is the sort of person who hacks on emacs,
one is also the sort of person who would probably learn quite a bit
about git's model from understanding the underlying infrastructure.

Until I really got how git works, the reason certain things are easy
and certain things are hard, why the tools do what they do, etc., did
not make sense to me.

I think the online book I pointed at does a good job for a
sophisticated user. It also provides a better overview of how
relatively more sophisticated operations with the tools (like
rebasing and such) are best performed.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden