Re: need help adjusting workflow to git (or vice versa)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: need help adjusting workflow to git (or vice versa)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:22:04 -0500

> for each build (~540M).  Is that really the standard procedure?  If so,
> I guess I'll get used to it, but it does surprise me.

I also find it surprising.  While Git is pretty fast and uses network
resources efficiently (i.e. there's obviously been a fair bit of effort
put into making it use resources efficiently), it doesn't seem to try
and optimize resource usage in this case: the duplication of
repositories is a problem for disk usage, RAM usage, and network usage
(unless you're careful to only fetch from the remote repository into one
particular local repository and then to propagate those changes locally
between your local repositories, but I don't see any tool that would
help you do that).

Personally I use git-new-workdir, which lets me set things up in the
same way I had them with lightweight checkouts, with a single shared
repository.  You just have to be careful not to have 2 workdirs checkout
the same branch.

        Stefan