Re: Push is complete

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Push is complete
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 15:13:44 -0700

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Unfortuantely vcs had a load/resource problem today.  We rebooted it
> to rescue it from a browned out 350+ load problem.  Currently it is
> distressed trying to keep up with all of the incoming git requests
> for all projects.  I am going to let it settle down a little and
> then will repack when the system has more idle cycles available.

Alfred suggested that this may be due to everyone trying to fetch the
new emacs repository.  I think he is right.  But see this...

  vcs:~# du -sh /srv/git/emacs.git
  13G     /srv/git/emacs.git

If everyone is trying to download 13G of git respository that is going
to overload the system.  And I think it has been overloading the
system all day!  Like Scotty says, "The engines can't take the strain
Captain."

I have disabled the repository for the moment so as to allow the
system to recover but still serve other projects.

Is there any way that you could repack the repository before
uploading?  As I recall previous attempts had the size down to around
300M or so?  Did something unexpected happen in the latest conversion?
I don't think vcs has the horsepower to repack something that large.

I see that some automated task has recreated an empty repository.  I
guess some script was written to require the repository to be there.
I can't do anything about that at the moment.

Bob