Re: icomplete-mode as replacement for iswitchb

From: Ole Laursen
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode as replacement for iswitchb
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 18:52:33 +0100

Thanks for the kind answer.

>> 1) Turning on icomplete makes C-x C-f show a list of matches (despite
>> icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input being nil - this is a little
>> jarring, but I think I can get used to it)
>
> I think that's a bug.  Could you M-x report-emacs bug so we don't forget it?

I think it's perhaps triggered by the path. But yes, I'll report it.

I played around with things a bit more and found another more serious
bug so I'm back on iswitchb. I'll report that too.

>> 3) RET in C-x b on a partial match means "open new buffer with partial
>> name" - I am trying to get used to C-j instead, but after a while I
>> think RET is more ergonomic in many cases because it frees you from
>> having to time a Ctrl press (e.g. f, o, o, RET is easier than f, o, o,
>> C-j)
>
> I think this will have to stay a user-config (you can change that for
> yourself in icomplete-mode-map).

Yeah, I see that it's a useful difference for C-x C-f. It works the
way I expect for M-x completions, so perhaps my request is really to
remove the possibility of opening a new named buffer through C-x b - I
think then RET and C-j would be the same. I don't know if that's out
of the question.

Ole