icomplete-mode as replacement for iswitchb

From: Ole Laursen
Subject: icomplete-mode as replacement for iswitchb
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:10:09 +0100

Hi!

I ending up using iswitchb many years ago after trying all other
alternatives at the time (iswitchb had the most polished buffer
switching implementation IMHO). Now I'm on 24.4 and have been trying
to switch to icomplete:

1) Turning on icomplete makes C-x C-f show a list of matches (despite
icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input being nil - this is a little
jarring, but I think I can get used to it)

2) However C-x b doesn't show any matches on no input - this breaks my
quick-switch-between-a-few-buffers-in-working-set habit (C-x b, C-s a
couple of times, RET)

3) RET in C-x b on a partial match means "open new buffer with partial
name" - I am trying to get used to C-j instead, but after a while I
think RET is more ergonomic in many cases because it frees you from
having to time a Ctrl press (e.g. f, o, o, RET is easier than f, o, o,
C-j)

I don't see why you'd want to be able to start a new buffer while
switching buffers. Switching buffers is a high-speed operation done
many times a day.

I realize some of this comes from old Emacs traditions, but from my
point of view, making sure RET has the same result as C-j when
switching buffers and either turning on
icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input as default, or even better only for
some completion scenarios where it makes sense (working set ones),
would be really helpful.

Ole