Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:31:16 +0000

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> At the moment, I have not tried elpakit. Sorry, Nic, I probably will
> give it a go now.

Well, you don't need to.

And I'm in the middle of moving it to a version 2.0.

> I think that any of the solutions would work. What is interesting is
> that both Elpakit and Cask have additional stuff added. I've been
> really glad to get Cask working and have it running my test cases for
> me, outside of my daily emacs. But it's not strictly necessary for
> persistantly managing packages.

The point about these things is that they're the only way you've got of
testing really. There's an enormous amount of grunt work in testing
stuff:

- make your package
- start up a test emacs
- install your package
- run the tests
- see the results

that's horrid boring work that both cask and elpakit try and
automate. For me it's not the out-of-bandness so much... though
repeatability clearly guarantees that.

Nic