Re: Multiple next-error sources

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multiple next-error sources
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 13:48:25 -0500

> Because "(add-hook 'next-error-functions #'my-function)" is shorter than
> the `add-function' variant,

The text I wrote and you quoted already said that it was shorter but not
enough to warrant an additional variable.  So you think saving 16
characters is worth an additional hook?
Based on that, I guess I should just change the naming conventions:

   (add-hook 'next-error-functions #'my-function)
   (add-f :before-until next-error-f #'my-f)

Look ma!  We should change all hooks to be plain foo-f variables!

> along with all the other good reasons which have been posted in
> this thread.

None of those reasons seem to apply the question of whether it's worth
adding a next-error-functions hook (remember: next-error-function exists
already, since long before add-function was born).

> Let me repeat my question: in what respect is the `add-function' way of
> doing things superior to the conventional hook mechanism?  If the answer
> is "in no respect", then I would suggest that the project continue to
> use hooks in preference to `add-function' functions.

At this point I feel like you're confusing me with an idiot.

        Stefan