Re: Generalizing find-definition

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Generalizing find-definition
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 09:39:07 -0600

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> And the second one is also provided by things like projectile (among
>>> many other thingies), tho it seems that none of the bundled Emacs
>>> packages provide a good solution for that common need.
>> I think ff-get-file is good. But maybe others want a more restricted list?
>
> Not only ff-get-file is a function, not a command,

It could be wrapped; I was referring to the functionality.

> but I don't think it
> provides the same functionality.  E.g. it doesn't look recursively
> inside subdirs.

the function we are talking about is:

> - jump to file (among those listed in the TAGS file)

So looking recursively inside subdirs is wrong.

The TAGS file contains a list of file:line:column (among other things).
In this context, we only care about the file names.

That list of file names is the source code for the current project (for
some loose definition of 'project').

So the function we are defining is 'goto-file-in-project', with the user
prompted for the file name.

In ada-mode, the definition of 'file in project' is the combination of
compilation-search-path with ada-spec-suffixes, ada-body-suffixes. I
believe EDE projects are similar.

--
-- Stephe