Re: Emacs 24.4 and advice

From: Trey Jackson
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.4 and advice
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:26:19 -0700

Thanks!

I was just a bit surprised by no mention of it anywhere in the mailing list or NEWS.  It's an easy fix and no big deal.  Next time I'll have to start perusing the commit logs...

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What do you use them for?
> It's left over code, I presume they were there because, upon first read of
> the documentation, it looked as though you needed to call (ad-start-advice)
> to get things going.

Right, and I think this documentation was a left from Emacs-18.

Calling ad-start-advice has been unnecessary since at least Emacs-19.28
(the first "official" Emacs-19 release), i.e. about 20 years now ;-)

If more people bump into it, we'll have to add an obsolete dummy
ad-start-advice for people who followed the tutorial.

>> Which tutorial are you referring to?
> ;; @ Foo games: An advice tutorial

Oh, indeed, the advice.el Commentary: includes a tutorial.  Sorry,
I didn't remember.

        Stefan

--
Trey Jackson
address@hidden

"Like any truly useful program, `hello' contains a built-in mail reader."
-- GNU's Bulletin, July 1996