Re: Emacs 24.4 and advice

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.4 and advice
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:02:48 -0400

>> What do you use them for?
> It's left over code, I presume they were there because, upon first read of
> the documentation, it looked as though you needed to call (ad-start-advice)
> to get things going.

Right, and I think this documentation was a left from Emacs-18.

Calling ad-start-advice has been unnecessary since at least Emacs-19.28
(the first "official" Emacs-19 release), i.e. about 20 years now ;-)

If more people bump into it, we'll have to add an obsolete dummy
ad-start-advice for people who followed the tutorial.

>> Which tutorial are you referring to?
> ;; @ Foo games: An advice tutorial

Oh, indeed, the advice.el Commentary: includes a tutorial.  Sorry,
I didn't remember.

        Stefan