Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 16:16:04 +0900

David Kastrup writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

 > > Newsflash: we're not talking about text properties in Emacs, which has
 > > historically been hostile to both embedding in other apps and to FFIs,
 > > and is not normally used as a network daemon,
 >
 > It is used as a network application (I mean, what else to use as news
 > and mail reader?).  There are currently discussions on the list about
 > the way to do TLS in a secure manner.

That's simply nonsense as an argument here.  Until you demonstrate at
least a shred of understanding of something as fundamental as the
differences in security requirements and attack surfaces of network
*servers* and network *clients*, there's no point in discussing your
statements further.

 > Text properties are not in files or network streams.  They will not
 > magically materialize and cause trouble.

"Magically", no.  "Maliciously", yes, we do have to worry about that.
Again, your evident ignorance of network threat models and their
historical realizations (both as "theoretical" CVEs and as successful
exploits) is appalling.

 > Sigh.  At any rate, this is basically a non-issue since GUILE is
 > perfectly capable of supporting custom extensible string type stacks on
 > the existing commands

Aha, a convert!  (Yes, I said that already in different terms.)