Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:19:03 +0300

> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 20:47:46 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> We can set the defaults for those non-frile interfaces so as to reject
> invalid UTF-8 sequences.  Then a program could specify to override the
> default and allow them.

That has been tried (not with UTF-8, but I don't think this matters),
and failed miserably.  The experience taught us that Emacs users
definitely don't want Emacs to do _anything_ about the unmodified
parts of text, except copy it verbatim.  Even the question we ask at
buffer-save time is sometimes reported as an annoyance.

Let's not repeat those mistakes.  The current design principle is that
the application or the user need to specifically ask for strict
conformance, if they want it.  For example, if someone was designing a
secure application on top of Emacs, they would need to opt-in such
behavior.