Re: fill length of visual line mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: fill length of visual line mode
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 18:25:33 -0400

> Let's forget about the code I posted. It's a stupid hack that works for me.
>>> It just feels hackish and wrong.  The right thing I feel is to use
>>> fill-column.
>> But it does beg the question: what if the window is smaller than
>> fill-column? Should it then fill at the window's edge or should it
>> continue as if truncate-lines is set?
> I didn't think of that. I bet users will want either. So a variable
> will say what to do.

I think pursuing the window-configuration-change-hook path is actually
a good idea: if we can get the desired behavior via Elisp code, it's
generally preferable (the C code is hairy enough as it is).  It also
makes it easier to offer configurability (e.g. to choose whether to
center the visible text in the window, or not).

        Stefan