Re: fill length of visual line mode

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: fill length of visual line mode
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 22:39:17 +0200

October, 02 at 18:16 Eli wrote:

>> From: Ivan Kanis <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 09:48:12 +0200
>>
>> I just enabled visual line mode today. I have started using it to
>> display gnus article. I noticed that the fill happens at the width of
>> the Emacs window. I set fill-column to 70 and I was expecting it to wrap
>> there.
>
> That's not how word-wrap was designed and implemented.  It works more
> like Web browsers, i.e. it wraps at the window edge.

It's too long for me at work where I use a tiling window manager and
wide screen.

>> There is a hack [1] by James Wright to make it work by expanding the
>> right margin of the buffer's window.
>>
>> I don't feel it should be so complicated to customize this behavior.
>>
>> Would it be OK to code wrap at fill-column?
>
> Not sure what you mean by your question.  Are you asking whether
> patches to implement the wrap at fill-column will be accepted?  If so,
> I'm quite sure the answer is YES.

It is what I meant.

October, 02 at 11:50 Glenn wrote:

> The code you quote seems mostly OK, but I don't know who wrote it, so
> I can't just install it, for copyright reasons.
>
> If someone can rewrite it and submit a patch, or if the original author
> can submit the patch, I'd be happy to install the feature.

It just boils down to setting the right margin. I have to hide the right
fringe or it looks wrong. FWIW here is how I cobbled for gnus article.

(defun ivan-gnus-hack-visual-line-length ()
  "Set visual line length by expanding the right margin of the
buffer’s window."
  (let ((window (selected-window)))
    (select-window (car (get-buffer-window-list gnus-article-buffer)))
    (set-window-margins nil 0 (- (window-width) 80))
    (set-window-fringes (selected-window) 8 0)
    (visual-line-mode)
    (select-window window)))

(add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'ivan-gnus-hack-visual-line-length)

It just feels hackish and wrong. The right thing I feel is to use
fill-column.

Ivan
--
You must've hit the wrong any key.