RE: feature request: text property to prevent font-locking

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: feature request: text property to prevent font-locking
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:07:51 -0700 (PDT)

> >> By, the way, these kinds of problems are the reason why I
> >> suggested adding "planes" to text-properties.
> >> It should be relatively easy to implement.
> >
> > Sorry, that's too vague for me.  But I guess it further confirms
> > that I am not missing something simple.
>
> I suggested that there be several planes of properties, so font-lock
> would place its properties in the plane `font-lock' while other
> packages can use their own plane.  Then you'd separately specify
> rules for how to merge the various planes (with rules that can
> be distinct for each kind of property). The merge of properties
> would not take place during redisplay but instead would take place
> when the properties are added/removed.

Doesn't sound particularly simple to use (can you say "usine a
gaz"?), even if it is "relatively easy to implement".  But I admit
that I have only a vague notion of what you have in mind.

While waiting for your implementation of that multifaceted feature,
perhaps we can adopt the simple change I suggested? (A bug fix, IMO.)

But again, I'm OK with just continuing to use the fix in my code,
if Emacs doesn't want it.