Re: feature request: text property to prevent font-locking

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: feature request: text property to prevent font-locking
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:34:28 +0200

() Drew Adams <address@hidden>
() Sat, 30 Aug 2014 13:15:46 -0700 (PDT)

   But since your reply is the only one so far, Alan, I conclude
   so far that there is no special interest in this -the problem
   or the proposed solution.

Maybe it takes a while for answers to arrive.

As you point out, font-lock must self-gate in some manner,
especially to avoid doing useless re-work.  Have you looked at
the source?  A brief dive shows me that

 ‘font-lock-mode’ docstring mentions
 ‘font-lock-fontify-buffer’ which calls
 ‘font-lock-fontify-buffer-function’ which has the value
 ‘jit-lock-refontify’ (for me), which calls
 ‘put-text-property’ w/
 property name ‘fontified’ and
 property value ‘nil’

suggesting that property ‘fontified’ w/ non-‘nil’ value is what
jit-lock must do as testimony of its work.  Now, that took all of
two minutes.  The next twenty or two-hundred (if i were lucky
enough to have them available) would be to understand what
weirdness must mar this simple model.  Maybe you can do that?

Regardless, i like the straightforward ‘font-lock-ignore’ method
you demo.  It would be nice to have that level of friendliness in
Emacs (and documented!).

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502