Re: Unibyte characters, strings, and buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unibyte characters, strings, and buffers
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:08:37 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 09:48:17 +0900
>
> David Kastrup writes:
>  > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  > > I never blamed anyone.  People should know the true state of
>  > > affairs, and then decide for themselves.
>
> Not in Emacs.  It's not up to the individual contributor, it's a
> matter for project policy, ie, RMS as advised by the FSF legal dept.

To some degree, yes.  (Although I hear only deafening silence from
those quarters about these matters.)  But since it is me who signs the
legal papers, and it is me who decides whether some code I submit
under the assignment fits the FSF standards of what can be called "my
original work", then I, too, am a part of this equation, and my
decisions on these matters do count.

> Bottom line: Eli's theoretical assessment of the "typical" risks
> involved seems pretty plausible to me.  But in the worst case, things
> can get pretty bad, and it's easy to justify "legal paranoia" on the
> part of the FSF in managing software freedom of selected critical
> projects, including Emacs.

I agree, FWIW.