Re: documentation on how to add packages to ELPA?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: documentation on how to add packages to ELPA?
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 20:24:31 -0500

> How do I specify package metadata such as min and max Emacs version,
> since I don't write the define-package args?

The dependencies are specified in the "Package-Requires:" pseudo-header
(grep for it in elpa/packages/*.el to see examples).

> Where is the "Version:" psuedo-header defined? Is it just
> ;; Version: 5.0

Yes.

> or more complex?

No.  It's the format understood by the lisp-mnt.el package, and used by
ELPA single-file packages.

> Is there metadata support for "optional" as opposed to "required"
> packages?

No.  The purpose of "Package-Require" is to help the user install
the package.  If it's optional, then it's simply not required.

> Should the build and test files be included in Gnu ELPA?

If at all possible (i.e. if the copyright status is clear), then please
do include them in the `elpa' branch, yes.

If you don't want all files included in the tarball distributed on GNU
ELPA, you can use a .elpaignore file (see js2-mode/.elpaignore for the
only existing example so far).

        Stefan