Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Allen S. Rout
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:38:21 -0500

On 12/16/2013 12:19 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I think the problem is that it is trying to treat the file as an
> outline.  However, this is not an outline.  It is a document with a
> title and some lists of bullet points.

It is a structured document. Some people would choose to _view_ it as an
outline. Others would choose to view as a block of pretty text, and yet
others would choose to view as a pile of plaintext with markup displayed
verbatim instead of interpreted.

So to attract "the type of users we're discussing here", the correct
paint job on the Org toolset would be org-mode and a stylized set of
startup variables, which defaulted to an expanded, pretty-printed display.

Does that sound reasonable?

Most importantly, it is an error to decide that this new use for the org
toolset is, all of a sudden, The Correct Interpretation Of Documents.

If we're going to deploy a swiss-army chainsaw for this, we've got the
"blind men and the elephant" problem writ pretty large.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

- Allen S. Rout
- The Blind Men and the Chainsaw.... Hmmm.