add keyword search and display in details for list-packages (was: Add th

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: add keyword search and display in details for list-packages (was: Add the archive name column in the list-packages table)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 06:09:22 -0500

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 06:34:50 +0800 Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden> wrote:

XF> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I think the Keywords should also be shown in the package description and
>> maybe available for filtering, WDYT?

XF> I agree.  Showing the dependencies would be useful, too.

OK.  Any objections to:

* adding filtering by Keywords in the packages list?
* showing the Keywords in the packages list?
* showing the Keywords in the package description?

The package.el TODO says:

;; - should store the package's keywords in archive-contents, then
;;   let the users filter the package-menu by keyword.  See
;;   finder-by-keyword.

so it seems this will require backend work by the GNU ELPA tools to put
the Keywords in the package description.  Stefan, WDYT?

Finally, in addition to the Keywords, is there a package category,
meaning a single word to describe its purpose?  It might be more
suitable for display in the packages list and could let us set up a
hierarchy in the packages list to avoid the current "2500+ entries in a
flat list" situation.

Ted