Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:17:17 +0200

On 19.11.2013 18:24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
In graphical mode, I think we can make a more reliable popup by adapting
some code in `tooltip.el'.

I'd advise against that.  Tooltip frames are treated very specially by
Emacs display, so you will be up for a lot of work (in C) to force
tooltips serve as completion pop-ups.

Or maybe "just" use a new, chromeless frame. Anyway, I'd expect some C code to have to be written for that feature.

Without new frame, we also won't be able to make Company tooltip work in minibuffer, Maybe we can adapt by rendering it in the nearest window, but that will leave a somewhat hackish impression, even if it works well.