Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:44:20 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> In modern UIs, auto-completion works such a way that after you type text
> it pops up a drop-down menu with a list of candidates where you can
> select one by using <down> and <up> arrow keys.

I would differentiate between completion of buffer contents (in this
case displaying a drop-down menu is fine) and completion of strings in
general. If the completion is unrelated to the buffer contents (or only
related on some higher level, like file names, buffer name or IMenu
elements), at the very least the completion popup will have to be
displayed near the minibuffer.

I'd like to see a popup in the middle of the frame for this case,
somewhat-but-not-entirely covering the buffers. Like in Sublime Text.

You can see it displayed in examples 3 and 4 on their front page:
http://www.sublimetext.com/