Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:13:46 +0200

>> Now from the time I hit F10 until I hit it again
>> the breakpoint is _not_ reached.
>
> So something else seems to be at work here.

But who else can resize the echo area?

> If you don't set resize-mini-windows to nil, but instead set
> max-mini-window-height to 1, does the problem also go away?

Yes - this makes the problem go away too.

> Another idea would be to ifdef away this fragment from term.c:
>
>       if ((menu_help_message || prev_menu_help_message)
>      && menu_help_message != prev_menu_help_message)
>    {
>      help_callback (menu_help_message,
>                     menu_help_paneno, menu_help_itemno);
>      tty_hide_cursor (tty);
>      fflush (tty->output);
>      prev_menu_help_message = menu_help_message;
>    }
>
> which disables help-echo in the menu, and see if the problem is gone
> even without customizing resize-mini-windows.  If it is, then stepping
> into the help_callback call might tell who causes the problem.

Doing this has the following effects:

(1) The echo area remains unchanged in contents and size.

(2) The amount of "artefacts" in the right half of the frame increases.
    (You have to look at my screenshot to understand what I mean with
    artefacts - these are essentially copies of menu lines, sometimes
    displayed in their highlighted form.)  Also, the number of
    highlighted menu lines increases.

> If disabling help-echo does not make the problem go away, there's
> something else that causes resizing, and perhaps you will be able to
> spot that without help-echo getting in your way and obscuring the echo
> area.
>
> Btw, this all is in "emacs -Q", right?  There are no customizations
> involved, right?

Always emacs -Q -nw, no customizations.

martin