Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:52:46 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> See my earlier e-mails.  But my bigger concern is that for many users, a
> new GnuPG release is years in the future, so even if you justify this
> change, it won't help anyone quickly.  IMHO epg.el should work around
> this "feature" now with the --batch --passphrase-fd options that I
> mentioned, especially if they can work on all GnuPG versions (I haven't
> tested that).

Well, that's a design decision not to use --batch here (and probably in
GPGME).  If it used --batch, epg.el would need to know a passphrase even
if it is not needed (for example, it is already cached in gpg-agent,
encrypted with empty passphrase, etc.)  And also it would inhibit gpg
from doing other user queries until the gpg command terminates.

> My question now, since we understand the problem well, is if you agree
> with this plan, and if so, do you need patches from me or other
> contributors, or will you address it yourself?  There's no urgency
> implied here; I am simply trying to fix this for our users by the next
> Emacs release.

Please don't.