Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 21:48:19 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 16:23:27 +0900 Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> DU> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>>> It seems that GnuPG has to be explicitly compiled with
>>> --allow-loopback-pinentry which IMO is a really painful requirement to
>>> pass onto Emacs users.  I am surprised by this, but perhaps I've
>>> misunderstood something?
>
> DU> Why don't you ask Werner directly about the ideas behind this, instead
> DU> of complaining here and seeking for a workaround?
>
> Because the bug or misbehavior is specifically in epg.el and I don't
> know the best way to fix it.

Well, I didn't mean to attack you.

I guess the configure option is disabled by default because it
apparently has a security risk and there are not so many users of that
feature.  If you could provide a use case, that might help convince him
to make --allow-loopback-pinentry enabled by default (and release 2.2
and/or backport it to 2.0).