Re: the state of the concurrency branch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: the state of the concurrency branch
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:54:53 -0600

>> . Will the handling of SIGCHLD be thread-specific or global?  IOW, if
>> a thread fires up a subprocess, which exits while another thread is
>> running, which thread(s) will get the signal?  If the signal
>> arrives at some other thread, how will that thread know to handle
>> it, if it doesn't watch the corresponding fd's?

Eli> Please answer this question, if you can: I need the answer to analyze
Eli> what, if any, changes are needed in how Emacs on Windows handles
Eli> process demise and emulates SIGCHLD.  Currently, we watch all of the
Eli> subprocesses inside the 'pselect' call; the question is: should we
Eli> only watch those of them that are relevant to the thread that calls
Eli> 'pselect'.

I have to look into it and I haven't found the time.
I will try to get to it soon.
It's possible that it is just an oversight on my part; however I would
say that the goal is that if a process is locked to a particular thread
then that thread should also invoke the process sentinel; beyond that I
am less clear on the issue.

Tom