Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:40:42 -0400

    You might be astonished to know that I am also, in fact, an Emacs developer.

Thanks for your contributions, but they don't entitle you to make demands
of this sort.

    Would you take a name of an existing, live project for a new GNU project
    with similar functionality, even if it were a good-sounding name and it
    were convenient to do so?

The issue is about command names, so you've changed the subject.

If we're talking about package names, then we want to avoid confusing
users.  Therefore, when we give a package the same name as some other,
we normally add "GNU" to distinguish.

For instance, I wrote a program called Emacs even though there were
other programs called "Emacs" at the time, and we made a Tar program
even though there were other programs called "tar" at the time.  To
avoid confusion, we refer to them as "GNU Emacs" and "GNU tar".

However, the issue at hand is about command names.  We use the same
command names used by various other packages whenever that seems
convenient.  For instance, the command to run GNU Emacs is just
`emacs' and the command to run GNU tar is just `tar'.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation