Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 02:54:33 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

> It all depends on the use-case, but my own use cases, frames on other
> displays/terminals are always "temporary frames" I created via
> emacsclient so as to access remotely the state of a running Emacs.

The question is, what is the more common use-case?

> I suggest you start with "only use the current display" (at least for
> the non-daemon mode), since it's a kind of halfway step between the
> previous behavior (which did not save&restore the window&frame state)
> and the "restore the state on all the displays".

The other behavior (try to restore the frame in its original display)
is already implemented. I can remove that code, but I wouldn't like to
do it unless there are reports of trouble.

It could be customized, of course. We could change the meaning of
desktop-save-windows (currently a boolean flag), to have:

- t : restore all frames in their displays
- local-state: only frames already in the current display
- current-display: restore frames in the current display

etc. (with better names)