Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:36:03 -0400

>> And more generally, it's probably better to avoid opening frames on
>> other displays/terminals than "the current one".
> Why? If the user had them open in other displays, and then saved the
> session, why/how would be better not to restore them as they were?

It all depends on the use-case, but my own use cases, frames on other
displays/terminals are always "temporary frames" I created via
emacsclient so as to access remotely the state of a running Emacs.

>> OTOH it might make sense to open the same windows&frames even if "the
>> current display" is different from the one last time.
> Yes. But how to choose what to do? Both behaviors are reasonable.

I suggest you start with "only use the current display" (at least for
the non-daemon mode), since it's a kind of halfway step between the
previous behavior (which did not save&restore the window&frame state)
and the "restore the state on all the displays".

        Stefan