Re: Missing texinfo manual

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Missing texinfo manual
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:10:52 -0400

On 06/11/2013 03:48 PM, David Engster wrote:
Glenn Morris writes:
Aidan Gauland wrote:

wisent.texi and bovine.texi contain references to the "grammar-fw"
manual -- line 1580 in wisent.texi, and line 85 in bovine.texi -- but it
is neither in trunk nor the (latest) Emacs release tarball.

It's one of the (several?) CEDET manuals that has never been part of
Emacs. I can add it, if that is appropriate (David, Eric?).

Not sure about that. I was never fond of the plethora of different info
files in CEDET. I'd rather integrate grammar-fw in one of the other
manuals, but I'm not sure where. Maybe in semantic.texi?

Hi,

A similar topic came up once before many years ago, and I had tried merging some of the Semantic manuals together. If I remember, the subsubsection levels got too deep, and my lack of texi skills led me somewhere I wasn't sure how to fix.

The grammar-fw.texi file goes best with bovine.texi and wisent.texi - the two grammar modes in Semantic, but merging those 3 doesn't seem quite right to me. The semantic.texi manual refers to the other manuals and has the 'internals' - a description the different files that make up Semantic. Since semantic-fw is about the tools used to write grammars more than the grammars themselves, I think that including it as a chapter in semantic.texi would be fine, and is similar in scope to 'internals' which is also about where to find code in Semantic.

Unfortunately, I think the organic growth of those manuals has resulted in a strange high-level organization. The simple change of @include-ing grammar-fw.texi into semantic.texi will continue that trend. If anyone has thoughts on a better way to address what David points out as a "plethora of different info files", it can only make things better.

Thanks
Eric